Friday, October 22, 2010

The Wild Kingdom

Sandi - LOL was the breathing from the bear in labor? Too funny!

Rosey - what a lot of wood!!! Hopefully you will have a mild winter, and won't need it all.

Sarah in FL - I hope your stomach is on the mend. Possibly some bad food? Your dogs are so sweet to be your K-9 Nurses.

Life in the Wild Kingdom --- We have had moles in our yard for some years, and they finally crossed a line with me in the Damage Department, so I hired a guy to trap them. I won't tell you they are alive after they're trapped, for the animal lovers here, but they won't be bothering us or anyone else, any more. We trapped 3 already, and are trying to get the 4th. He showed me one, and I was amazed how large they are! It was seven or eight inches long, and 2 - 3 inches in diameter. Aaaaaack! The smaller tunneling critters, that are more the size of mice, are shrews and voles. I've gotten such an education in the past few weeks. LOL I would trap them myself, except I am not strong enough to even open up the trap. I tried. ugh...

I was bemoaning our "invasion" and the wildlife guy told me ours is nothing. He has a couple neighborhoods where he does a lot of work, older more established areas of town where the homes & yards are 50 - 75 years old. One yard had seventy (70)! moles trapped. Yikes.

He told me they can come into my yard by tunneling under the street, and they can tunnel four feet under the surface. Wow. I am going to try some liquid fence (repellant) treatment, but if it doesn't work, I'll know it's because they can travel so far under ground. I'm tired of these critters tearing up our lawn...

He had one customer, in a neighborhood two miles from me, call him to trap something that had dug a very large hole (almost 12" wide) next to their house. He expected to catch a groundhog, and instead, got an armadillo. Here in Nashville, TN! I knew they had migrated this far north and have seen them on the side of the interstate (as roadkill) but had not realized they were invading our yards. Yikes.

As long as we don't see any bears, we will be okay....

Hugs to all y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home