Thursday, June 10, 2010

SHADOW UPDATE

I stopped by the vet's office today to give the staff a copy of the "Training People" book I've mentioned here and told Harriet that whatever that shot was that she administered Tuesday, I'd like one too. Shadow was almost perky yesterday and ate two small meals, drank fine and even asked me to throw the ball out the door but didn't seem to want to go for it unless I went out in the rain with her. Her yard time, even though it was accompanied by some tail wags when it dried up, didn't last long though. I canceled the summer shave down and bath with the groomer because there's not much point in putting her through the stress and exertion required. She's still happy today to some extent but I've been told the improvement was due to the fact that the medication calmed her GI tract but it's not going to last more than a few more days. I was gone a fair amount today, not much by choice and she greeted me when I got home. I'm skipping my usual Friday hand quilt and lunch tomorrow. I need to do so much here and I want to spend as much time as I can with the old girl. When she gets close to the shape she was in on Monday and Tuesday I will end her suffering. When I return from the graduation doings in NY I'll think about what if anything to do next. Most people who know me and aren't even dog people themselves say I should get another one and my DD who doesn't want to have a dog in her house says that she can't believe that I can live without one. She's probably right and I'll no doubt be visiting the adoption tent at the Farmer's Market in Sylva on Saturday mornings. Those dogs have been fostered, neutered and seen by a vet so what you see is what you get in terms of health and, very important, temperament.

Thanks for your posts, emails and general support. I know what you are going through Rosey, and I know the pain is a long time in easing. Sometimes, even after five years, I get teary telling crazy Molly stories even now.

Bee, I hope all this dog mourning hasn't seemed as though we have trivialized you recent loss. Get yourself a dog if you don't have one. They don't mind if you cry into their neck. Molly was very patient with me after Al died. If I hadn't had those dogs I wouldn't have bothered to get out of bed some days. My simple advice is take your time, go ahead and shed tears and get help if you need it. Grieving takes a lot of patience. People who haven't been there sometimes think you are permitted a limited time and then should "snap out of it". They are wrong.

Love to all,
Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home