Thursday, June 10, 2010

dogs

Jane in NC - sending hugs, thoughts and prayers your way for both you and Shadow.

I've only had to put down two dogs, and both times, they had stopped eating and drinking, which were my clues that something was wrong. The first was a rescue Irish Setter, we had no idea how old he was, but his face was quite white. Vet felt him up and rattled off a list of organs that had and were shutting down. Alex crossed the bridge almost 18 months ago. He was also in dire intestinal distress (a bit messy) and vet couldn't figure out what was wrong, but at 16 years of age, we both agreed if testing did not kill him, the cure would, and at his age the expense and stress were not worth it. It was time to let nature have its way. He came home "in hospice" and by the next day, I knew it was time to help him out of his suffering. I sat by his side all day long, held him when he let me, and cried with grief. It was New Years' Day, so had to wait another day to call the vet's office.

Oh good grief,,,, I'm crying all over again right now. The sadness is still here inside me. So I'll cry for a bit, and think of both you, Rosey P and all the others who have lost their dearest, most beloved of four-legged friends. I truly believe Alex was my "heart dog." I still miss him. (((Hugs))) to all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home