Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Growing old against our wishes

Jane, I know that you've been concerned about Shadow recently and I'm sorry to hear the news. I had a shih tzu go many years ago with kidney failure...just came on quickly, as it seems Ceilidh's hemangiosarcoma did but in fact, I know nothing 'comes on' overnight. It seems as we grow older, we, if we are lucky, finally get to live in places that give us such comfort and where we choose to be. Then, something happens..a spouse dies, then our beloved pets and there is just us left. Then what?

It's interesting but it does not bother me to not have my adult children nearby as I age. With the community resources that we have here in Canada, as long as they supervised my care, I'd be happier living in a small town such as Penetanguishene or Midland, Ontario. Having lived now 46 years without street lights, I'd have a hard time adjusting to city living just to be near one of them..

I'm just home from a two day sprint around the countryside north of home. Took an 80 yr. old married-in for lunch in the small town of Orillia, Ontario, where I lived many years ago, then drove over to Georgian Bay and the beach where himself and I grew up. Hope, who made the trip with me, is definitely stressed out trying to adjust to life without her sister, Ceilidh. They slept with their backsides touching at all times; came down stairs side-by-side, it was as though they were one dog, not two. Even though Geordie, our older Aussie, at 15 yrs. is still with us, he sleeps much of the time and is as deaf as a post. He doesn't relate to Hope at all. She is trying to connect with him to no avail. So, I'm the next best thing to a furry, four-legged buddy at the moment.

Marion, I'm very glad that Russell was able to catch Holly in contact with the mouse poison and that she is alright. Thanks heavens for that.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home