Wednesday, July 8, 2009

TIRED GRANNIES

Here in the mountains it's grannie, nana or mamaw. I'd never heard the last of those before coming here. The first syllable is like man. Then of course there is papaw. That first a is likewise like man. I have it on good authority that in both German and Japanese it's Oma. Go figure.

Anyway, count your blessings. My grands are so busy that they don't get down here. They go to their friends' cottages on one of the many beautiful lakes in NY, work at jobs, and like Greg, go to a national all star high school track meet in Greensboro NC. He ran in a 4x1 mile event. I had no idea until it was all over. I probably would have driven over there to cheer him on had I known. Oh well... We will all be together in August at wedding of their spinster aunt. We are staying in the same motel and will have four days so I'm looking forward to that. Next June the boys will graduate from high school and wild horses couldn't keep me away from that milestone.

My precious Shadow is failing and there is nothing to be done about it. She is spared the knowledge of her impending demise and still thinks she's a puppy when she pesters me to hit the tennis ball for her to chase down. She is losing weight as she eats only every three days or so. Vital systems are failing in tandem; liver, kidneys, heart and the arthritis is in her spine as well as shoulders. Vet and I agree to the hospice approach of keeping her happy and comfortable. I've tried every dog food on the market, dry and soft, but nothing appeals to her more than a meal or two worth. She ate with apparent pleasure last evening and this morning not at all. Unfortunately the medication meant to control nausea and irritation of GI tract is a powder to be added to food. So much for that. I'm also giving her half doses of low dose Zantac which vet says works well with dogs with gut problems. That's a pill and she's still willing to lick the peanut butter off a finger tip disguising the tiny half pill. I'm already thinking that I'd be a darned fool to get another dog when she's gone but am also thinking about whether to get an older local rescue or contact Shadow's breeder who I know retires his brood bitches after they've had whatever number of litters he considers healthy and finds good homes where the owner normally has to agree to make a house pet of them, hunt them, and spay them. I'm not about to take up hunting but if he has an older dog available I'd take it in a heartbeat because I now his dogs and their wonderful temperament.

Well, before I get any more teary I'll spare you all any more dreary stream of consciousness.

I just looked out the window and the bright sunshine has suddenly disappeared. I must have a deleterious effect on the weather as well when I'm dreary.

Jane

2 Comments:

At July 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM , Blogger MaryJo said...

Jane, My deepest sympathies as you deal with Shadow's fading days. We have a 19 year old kitty and are feeling the same things. My prayers were that the cat would survive DH (after his accident) as it was his kitty. It is hard to watch them both wind down. Now, I've been adopted since DH's brace limited his interaction. And, his priorities changed dealing with the broken neck and cancer. Life goes on. Hope you do get another dog from the same breeder. We need that unconditional love that comes from our pets.
Blessings,
MaryJo )who wishes she could post)

 
At July 16, 2009 at 12:52 PM , Blogger Mainequilta said...

Jane, I'm so sorry to hear about your Shadow. We lost our Millie almost a year ago. She had a bout with canine old age disease (severe vertigo), and just when we thought she was turning the corner she had what we thought was a relapse. Turned out that the vet suspected a spinal tumor and we made the decision to have her put down. She had battled her whole life with severe hip dysplasia and it was time to let her go. My prayers go out to you. We waited two months and got in touch with our Kasey's breeder and now are co-owners of a bitch who is to have two more litters over the next two years, then we get to keep her and a pup from last litter for good. Will be praying for you both. Martha in cloudy Maine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home