Monday, December 8, 2008

I AIN'T DEAD YET

I’ve been among the missing for a long time but have been checking in. My absence has been largely medical but I’ve observed that there are a lot of folks in much scarier circumstances than I. However, I’m so #*&$* sick of being sidelined with the remnants of that accident last spring. The tendon repair of 11/18 turned out to be a far more extensive surgery than surgeon and I had both anticipated. The tendon (the one that runs from medial (inside) side of ankle down along the foot and under attaching to the foot was just about gone and he had to remove some tendon tissue from a nearby healthy one and attach it to the injured one (my crude understanding of a tendon transfer). Then he went to work removing a ton of scar tissue all around the joints as well of a mass of newly developed arthritis in the same area. While he was in the area he removed the five screws from the tibia and fibula fractures as those were perfectly healed but which had left in their wake the other mess. I am back in a wheel chair, depending on others to drive me to the necessary doc offices, grocery etc. The big difference from last spring is that I don’t have the resources with which to pay as generously as I did last spring. It’s been a horribly expensive year to say the least. To frost the cake I’m dealing with a nasty cold. My eyes are so itchy I suspect that I have conjunctivitis. The computer at times acts as if the virus has infected it but the symptoms are sporadic. After three days in hospital I made the decision to go to a local nursing home which I had never known offers rehab-to home service. I just didn’t feel strong enough because of exercise limitations for so long, to handle the walker etc. I then spent about ten days there where I received excellent help. The vast majority of “residents” there are dementia patience. I’ve decided that when I’m fully functional I’ll take Shadow there for visits. Now, ladies, you may send some cheese to go with this whine as I have plenty of that.

Contrary to my plans before the surgery, I haven’t touched needle and thread. I came home to a terrible mess of my own making and when not napping I’ve been plowing through several weeks of mail. About caught up by now

Extra hugs to those suffering various types of misfortune. I am thankful that my own are not much in comparison.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home