Saturday, September 6, 2008

TOO QUIET HERE

Hi all,

I picked up my pretty virgin white Prius today!! I believe I'll be very satisfied. Starting and stopping is a challenge to adjust to but once it's going it's like driving any other car. Unfortunately I am now a pauper, but what the heck, you can't take it with you. I keep telling myself that it will pay for itself. So far the two disappointments are that I couldn't get leather upholstery without buying the top package and it was just too pricey. I like the leather primarily because of Shadow. It's a whole lot easier to keep presentable. The other is that XM is outrageously expensive to have factory installed. As soon as possible I'll buy a new receiver and take it to the auto stereo shop I did the last one who installed it beautifully for less than 20% of the factory installation job. I'd tell you what mileage I got on the way back home from Asheville but I couldn't figure out how to get it displayed. I'll play with it tomorrow in the driveway with the manual in hand.

The right eye will have cataract surgery on Wednesday so there won't be any driving for me for at least 24 hours. I had some problems driving today because the drops I'm using in preparation for the surgery is dilating the pupil and glare was a big problem even with the big shades worn over the regular glasses. Also fine focus is almost non-existent so I'll limit what I do about driving until things settle down toward the end of the week.

After that comes Grace's retreat and I'm sooo looking forward to that. In early November is the retreat in Toccoa, GA I attend almost every year. It takes place at the GA Baptist Conference center where we are shut away from the world taking our meals (somewhat institutional)on the campus. The dorms are just that, and many of the classrooms are in the same building and remain open 24 hours a day. I'm always in bed by 9:30 or 10 but some of the participants work almost all night. We see a lot of the same folks each year and have bonded. Price is right because room and board as stripped down to the necessities. Location is far enough south and much lower elevation so that their fall color is at its peak then and there is a lovely trail around a small lake. It's always my annual farewell to fall.

Gotta get back to bed so I can play with my new car tomorrow.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home