Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wednesday, in the country

Grace, welcome back to Ontario but the lack of energy is not exclusive to the Ottawa River area...it's hit southern Ontario, Curves and our 10 acres as well. I have no idea why. People are complaining about the pollen this year and a lack of energy these past few weeks; I'm complaining about the lack of a decent springtime for we had a light frost last night and I covered up my barrels with plastic tents, brought in whatever potted plants that I could and think, we've had a long and hard winter, we deserve some warmer weather here. Mind you, we may be complaining about the heat before long and wish we'd have the more temperate weather that we have right now. The sun is out; that's a good thing.

I've been baking up a storm with fresh rhubarb and have stocked my B&B freezer with loaves made from my one allotted plant from next door. I can't for the life of me grow a rhubarb plant here on our own property. It simply isn't interested in growing here although in 20 years I've certainly tried. Next door, it's happy. I know that once started, rhubarb takes off. Just hasn't happened here.

I am looking out at my flower pot and watching my little red squirrel wagging his tail, eating a nut and contemplating burying it in my flower pot but is sitting on the edge of the pot in the dirt. I have to place small upright sticks throughout the pots until they give up digging in the nice soft dirt. I guess it's hard to understand when the back porch has been their dining hall all winter. why they are not welcome to my flower pots in spring. I wonder why squirrels keep wiggling their tails?

Two more gardens to weed, then, it will start all over again. I'm trying to locate spahgnum peat moss nuggets and called the company in Trois Riviers, Quebec this morning...they are out of it and are just starting to harvest it again. It's fantastic ground cover (mulch). I put it in my beds two years ago and have had few weeds come up since, in those beds.

The squirrel is still sitting in my flower pot, still wagging his tail. Maybe it's reflex. A cat, I'd know was marking its territory...but a squirrel???

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home