Wednesday, February 6, 2008

dreadful weather

It is an absolute miracle that we were spared from the tornadoes last night, which you've all seen on the national news by now. DH and I were downtown in Nashville, at a NHL hockey game in the big arena. The storms were not supposed to arrive until midnight, but they showed up early. At the game we were asked to not leave the building when the game ended. Once over, we were all asked to go to the lower level.

Buildings were wiped off the face of the earth 25 miles west of downtown, and 25 miles east of downtown. The system went right(!) over us, but "jumped" over the city. As I said, it is a miracle there was no damage to the arena or the city. The scenes of the local damage on either side, the damage at Union University in Jackson, and the deaths is very sobering. The potential for damage and death in the dense population of a metropolitan city like Nashville is frightening.

I didn't even realize the tornado damage was in the Canadian news until Rosey P. called me today, to see if I was okay. Yes, we're all okay. I stayed up until after 2 a.m. this morning watching the radar, until the last line of storms & potential tornadoes moved on through. I hope Jane in NC wasn't hit too hard, as she should be recovering from her knee surgery right now.

I'm sending hugs and prayers for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home