Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hi from Oregon

Hello,
Jean, before I forget, thanks for the update on Kitty. I've wondered how she's been doing. I appreciate you keeping everyone informed. I always wish her the best.

Our weather has finally turned into Fall and can be gorgeous. Even if a tad nippy. :-) I love this time of year with the beautiful colored tree leaves.

I've tried to do a bit of sewing on quilts but sometimes life gets in the way. My sister was diagnosed with Stage 4 terminal Lung Cancer a month or so ago. It's been quite a shock as she didn't smoke and hadn't been around 2nd hand smoke very much. This is the third serious terminal cancer for the family in three years and each cancer has been different and sort of weird. I've been able to share suggestions learned via this board with my sister already. I appreciate the many comments through the years as one just never knows when that information might come in handy.

I've been able to take my sister to her radiation and now chemo treatments. She's doing pretty well but it's still a shock.

In the meantime, I love seeing the various quilt projects that others have shared on this board. And other pictures as well. Thank you all for sharing bits of your lives! It has been wonderful.

Has anyone heard if there are quilts being made for the people in Southern Calif who have lost their homes? I have a simple top I'm working on that I thought might be good to send when it's finished into a quilt. If anyone has information, can you please post it?

Sending hugz and wishing everyone a great week,
Mary in Oregon

3 Comments:

At October 28, 2007 at 5:54 PM , Blogger MJ said...

Hi Mary, I'm so sorry that your sister has cancer. Seems to be more prevalent now - or am at an age where everything happens. My doctor believes cancer is an environmental disease. With all the sun, picking crops and beach time we Oregonians spent growing up, that isn't positive. We are just back from a 10 day trip to the coast, Lincoln City. Had several sunny warm days and others watching storms come in. Loved both. Miss seeing you at Sisters. Stopped there on the way home to do a bit of shopping. You and your sis are in my prayers.
Blessings,
MaryJo

 
At October 28, 2007 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

Mary, I will share my DH's experience if you don't mind. By the time he was diagnosed with lung cancer, the horse was long gone from the barn and it had already metastisized into his lymphatic system, liver and perhaps elsewhere. However, his heart and superior vena cava (the vessel through which the blood is carried back to the heart from the brain) were within a week or two of the tumor shutting off the vena cava with horrific results. The oncologist offered Al a new palliative chemo treatment which he hadn't used before which carried with it the possibility of beating off the tumor so that he would not only improve the medical emergency but would give him some much improved months before the end was to come. Al opted for that approach. He had several weeks of very aggressive radiation which did shrink the tumor back from the heart and the vena cava as hoped. Then he started the chemo. He was feeling much better within a couple of weeks. He, like me, had been a fairly heavy smoker for almost forty years before a bout of tongue cancer ten years earlier had gotten his attention causing him to quit smoking and drinking both of which contributed to the oral cancer. He had ten wonderful years until the habits of his youth caught up with him again. He had about four months of improved stamina and general improvement. There was a lot of reconciling with the kids and me because of the years of too much alcohol. The girls made several trips, one of them from CA and the other from NY and it was an invaluble time for all of us. The girls couldn't believe how sweet and loving he was and I told them that was the sweet guy I married. In some respects it was the best time the four of us ever had. He ultimately succombed as expected but the feelings among us were much different and vastly improved by then.

Sorry I'm pouring this out to you in your current situation but it just rose to the surface when I read your post. Whether or not your sister is terminal, or if that is undetermined, use this time as one of reconcilation and letting love flow.

Jane in NC

 
At October 29, 2007 at 5:59 AM , Blogger Marge said...

Hi Mary, First let me say how sorry I am to here of your sisters cancer. Prayers are with you. You wanted to know about a site that was collecting blocks or quilts of those effected with the California fires. Go to Eleanor Burns site which is www.quiltinaday.com and on the community forum they are doing just that. I beleive her name is Cindy. Marge

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home