Monday, August 27, 2007

Grand Champion Quilt


I lurk here most every night, but don't post very often. Just wanted to share that I won the Grand Champion prize for one of my quilts at our county fair. I was really amazed it won, as I hardly ever even get ribbons on things I enter in Open Class. I also received a beautiful cut crystal bowl. Guess I didn't get it in this picture.
This quilt has a story to it that I'm wondering if it maybe had a little extra help with winning. No, the judge did not know the story.
I made this quilt in a class I took from a lady who owned a small quilt shop in a nearby town. I took the class in Oct., and she passed away from cancer in Dec. In early Jan., my Mom ended up in the hosptial also fighting cancer. On my few evenings at home I quickly quilted and bound the quilt, so I could hand stitch the binding while I sat at her bedside. Mom passed away in late Feb. I loveingly call this my "Cancer quilt", and think about both wonderful women when I look at it.
Happy Quilting!
Karen in KS


Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2007 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Karen, your quilt is just beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to your feelings for both women too.
Thinking of you and sending hugz,
Mary in Oregon

 
At August 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Karen, This is one of the best stack-n-whack type quilts I've seen, outside of the ones at the AQS Expo a few years ago.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home