Friday, August 10, 2007

Going postal over the post!!

OK this is an odd question I don't have anyone I can ask here.I want to order something from the States and the postal charges from the website seem completely extreme. It would be a small medallion and a rosary mounted on a card. Price $17. Not bad, says I, well worth ordering for a gift I want to give. Postage from GA to Spain--another $17? When postage within the States is like $3?Surely this is excessive? It doesn't say anything about "next day mail" or "priority" or even "registered." Considering the fact that it can not be all that heavy, would I be better off askign someone stateside to get it for me and send it on? I can't quite justify 35 bucks for something I know will not be very high quality. (I don't know what "silver oxide" means but I bet it ain't sterling.) Considering that it doubles the price of the item...Any ideas?

I will post some musings later but thank goodness, I am working a lot of hrs this month and have a class "right quick."
anna

2 Comments:

At August 10, 2007 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

Anna, international postal rates are determined by a group called the International Postal Union (or at least that's what it used to be called when I was a kid who collected world stamps). The IPU meets and sets the rates and every country agrees to follow whatever the rates this "committee" decrees.

Judy

 
At August 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

Whoops, that's the Universal Postal Union .... headquarters are in Berne, Switzerland and it was founded in 1874. Those are the folks responsible for the ever inflating postage rates for international mail ...

Judy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home