Thursday, June 23, 2011

Friday.

Thanks for posting the photo of your cushion Grace. It's very pretty. I used that technique on the top of a covered box I made once. It used a lot more material than I expected it to, but I liked the effect.

Here's some useless information for you all... As of this morning, I notice that the number of "posts" listed on the Chat page is 2912 and on the BB page 1973, nearly a thousand less. I thought that was interesting. (I should get out more , as they say..!!)

The sun is shining today, what a difference that has made. We've had some very grey days this week, cold and damp. I've continued on with my visiting of people in the quake affected areas. What brave souls they are. The living conditions are scary ,at the least , and their properties are very damaged by the liquefaction which has covered their gardens four times since Sept. We had another very sharp shake on Monday night, just on bedtime. DH and I both ran outside. Several more during the night but we were so tired we slept through them ! Yesterday the Govrnmt came up with a plan for paying out 5000 home owners the full value of their house and land. That's a start , but where they will find sections to build on for that price, and how long it will all take, is the big question.

The local council called for volunteers to walk the streets of our neighbouring rural town, to identify how many homes had been vacated and how the remaining people were managing. That was a cold job. DH and I did three streets, we found very few people at home. Lots of very aggressive looking dogs, guarding some properties, lots of empty , very badly damaged homes and only few, lonely people, at home. One young woman said she had been moved there from her home in Christchurch when that "fell down" , another told me that her home had been condemned in Sept, after the first quake . She was still living there . She had "essential services"and seemed comfortable and warm. Apparently able to ignore the cracks in the ceilings and walls and the fact the the floor was on a slope ! She did admit to being frightened during Monday's (5.4) quake.

So that's been my life this week. Would love to hear what the rest of you have been up to !

Marion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home