Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Strange Happening

Doris, both your bird feeders are far more 'elegant' than mine. Mine are the least expensive, servicable kind and now that I've seen yours, I am totally dissatisfied with mine. However, stay they will as the cost of upgrading two of them is not within my budget at the moment. Mine do the job but yours are much prettier, by far.

Two nights ago, alone in the house as himself was some distance away having attended a funeral in the afternoon, then meeting up with longtime friends afterwards, I was on the telephone with friend Margaret, as I do every evening, at 9 pm when I heard from the other side of the house a huge shattering sound. The dogs appeared undisturbed by this noise, which came from a cupboard next to where they were napping and when I called, they did not sniff the cupboard, leading me to believe, what initially I had thought, that an animal had fallen in from the ceiling of the long narrow cupboard. But, what was it? I checked the room from the doorway but not wanting to go right in, as there is a slight corner and turn at the end where I could not see, I closed the door, heart racing, for the noise continued, a pinging sound which I decided now had to be a bat. Terrified of bats, I know they do good things and at night are not far from the house as they swoop over the pool just off the back porch collecting bugs. We had a bat in the house two years ago when one slipped in the screen door as we were going in and out at night. The pinging continued. The dogs were still unconcerned, which did little to reassure my imagination, which by now, had at least two bats flying around in the room with visions of them flying into my face, getting tangled in my hair, biting me, rabies, possibly. The door remained closed all night, the pinging noise abating slightly. Himself arrived home late to the news that there was either an animal or several bats in the cupboard and not to open the door till morning. And so, morning came, himself, no fear, opened the door, I cringed, keeping the dogs at bay in case something came flying or racing out the door when I heard a chuckle from inside the cupboard. The noise, I was told, come and look at it, himself said....your storm door insert from your studio has shattered into a million tiny pieces. It was the kind of glass that honeycombed and it lay around the frame in a crystal pile. The mystery is why the glass exploded after twenty years of use and being stored carefully against a wall where nothing touched it. Spontaneous combustion, himself said. But, why?

Instead of bird feeders, I'll be replacing the storm window insert in my studio door. Nothing but the frame left and it's broken too. A mystery, for sure.

Rosey

1 Comments:

At May 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

Perhaps you have a poltergeist that needs to be purged.

Jane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home