Saturday, August 8, 2009

lavinia's question

Lavinia, I would not qualify as an official quilt judge as I have not passed the instructor's course that has now been designed to qualify someone to judge a quilt. However, I have judged quilts for guilds over the years, as well as Women's Institutes. That was when I was teaching quilting in the seventies to the eighties. Then, along came the quest for such perfection when quilts are entered into exhibits that I, now, would be too afraid to submit my quilts to the quilt police. New expressions have entered into the quilt world since I took time off to go to art college during the eighties. For example: air in my binding. Apparently there should be none. Now, I asked: what is air in my binding? I was told, floppy binding, nothing in there but air supposedly. So, not being familiar with all these new quilt terms and what quilters 'have' to do to qualify for the judges, it makes me very nervous these days. I have always exteneded my batting into my binding simply because it gave it dimension and body. I guess that would qualify today because I don't have air in my binding. Frankly, I think quilts that are being judged are reaching such heights of anal perfection that I don't know why anyone would submit a quilt to be judged. It dismays me that this is happening because it intimidates and overwhelms newcomers who strive to do their best but are apologetic to submit a perfectly nicely sewn quilt to an exhibit because of all the rules and regulations they are supposed to meet.

But one thing the judges don't seem to stress is good design.

So, Lavinia, I'm told, you are not allowed to have "air in your binding".

Phooey to all these rules and regulations. Fill out the bindings with batting because it looks better and stands up to wear better because flat bindings aren't as attractive but otherwise, do what makes you (generically speaking) happy.

RoseyP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home