Sunday, July 19, 2009

OH, MY ACHING BONES

At weight watchers several months ago (during which I lost just a few pounds which I've managed to regain and then some in the past two weeks) a WW challenge was discussed and many of us signed up to prepare for and participate in a 5k walk/run in our area this month. Well, never one to pass up a challenge I signed up and I was one among many. Well, yesterday was the big day and one of the staff ladies and I were the only ones to show up as far as I know. I'd been doing my walking up and down challenging grades so had no idea if I could finish the whole 5k on a route which, for these parts, was quite gentle but on concrete unfortunately. I finished, probably 20 or more minutes behind the next to last. Couldn't begin to maintain the pace of the other lagers and then had to cross the road and walk a bit to a convenience store to use the restroom. By the time I got close to the finish some of the direction signs along with the kindly helpers were gone and I was left with what was possibly the worst map I've ever seen so took a detour on a right turn the should have been left. No water, apparently the water station closed up before I got there. The crowd was well started on the awards ceremony when I crossed the finish line seen only by the lady with a baby on her hip who was the time keeper. I told her I didn't want to hear my time. I was very dry and headed for water when she checked her computer that was hooked up to a sensor and when I returned she said that since I was the ONLY entrant in the women's 70-74 year old category I won a gold medal. Sooo, rather than head out for home I waited until my name was announced. The announcer very discreetly did not announce my time. I came home with a "gold" medal. Had a lot of laughs with total strangers and met a quilter visiting from England. A lot of people congratulated me for doing it at all. There was an 86 year old man who won his age group with a time of 29 minutes plus some change. I was somewhat embarrassed but did tell some folks that it was fun and that I'd spent a total of five months in wheel chairs in '08. I felt great when I got home and this morning can barely walk across a room. It's primarily the arthritic hips that are complaining most. I am beginning to suspect that if I live long enough they may be the next artificial part I'll need.

Anyway, hang in there ladies and get out there and move! Now to get back to the eating program. I was so successful two years ago.

LAVINIA, will you be coming down to the Asheville show August 7-9? Anybody else for that matter?

Jane

2 Comments:

At July 20, 2009 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Good on you, Jane, for just keeping on. :-)
Mary in Oregon

 
At July 24, 2009 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

Well Mary, once you've gotten to the halfway mark there is no longer a choice. Go on the the finish line or turn around and return to it where your car is parked. Finishing is no longer voluntary!!

Jane

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home