Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm finally back

The power was restored at about 11:30 this morning, just a few minutes short of one full week after it went off. I have been back at work since Monday. I can tell you that a few days of living without refrigeration, lights, computers, and hot showers has really made me grateful for the modern conveniences I took for granted.
On my way to work, I pass areas that were totally devastated in the storms last week. There are homes without roofs with tarps draped over the openings, homes that are completely gone, and homes that look untouched, all sitting within a few yards of each other. There are still power and phone lines down in those areas, and I'm guessing they won't have power for quite awhile. There are lots that used to be full of large trees that are just debris now. Many people have not been able to work for a full week, and if you are paid by the hour, or week, that is a crippling blow. The small businesses in this area were already having a tough time. This may be enough to kill some of them. I plan to eat out quite a bit for the next few days; I don't want to fill my refrigerator because they're still talking about "temporary fixes." Maybe others will be doing the same and saving the restaurants...
I feel for anyone in the path of these storms, and anyone suffering from the results of other disasters. My sympathy just became a bond of common experience, even though we were very lucky in this house.
Back up your files, photos, and important documents, and store them somewhere away from your house! Some people have lost everything but the clothes on their backs.

2 Comments:

At May 5, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Sandi Irish said...

Laura, I have a couple of quilts I'd like to send down, do you know where I could send them? I'm having a hard time finding a outlet. you can email me at irishchain@comcast.net
Thanks.

 
At May 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Laura - It's good to see you're back home. Thanks for checking in with us here.

Tornadoes don't discriminate, do they? Something like this will definitely financially break some people and businesses. It's just awful.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home