Monday, May 3, 2010

FLOODS ETC

Wow, Doris. I thought of you today as I got up wondering how you are doing. Hope you and family are high and dry. Storms, as often happens here, hits the Smoky Mtns. with elevations up to 6,000 ft. and tend t veer off toward the north east. That's the reason the Ohio valley gets nasty weather in winter when it was headed straight toward us until hitting the mountains.

We had rain but no where near as significant as TN. We are soaked from so much precipitation this winter and spring and the soil, what there is of it, can take just so much. I'm afraid the local strawberry crop might be rotting before it's ready for harvest. That happened once before during the 18 years I've been here. I did see a sign that was offering local strawberries for, get this, $10 a gallon. Yikes that's high but one can't beat local produce.

The wildflowers were late this year due to unusually low temps in Feb.&Mar. but they are in profuse now. A walk on any of my favorite paths is just a joy. I had my hearing aids adjusted as I realized that I wasn't hearing the symphony of migrating warblers this year. Sadly, there are fewer each year due to deforestation in their wintering spots. Mother nature is my gardener and I don't have to pay her. My hostas, however, have reproduced in great numbers this year for the first time since they were planted. We had so much drought for so long things barely survived. I didn't water them much as I'm dependent on a well and many in the county were going dry.

Got back to the sewing machine yesterday after a two week hiatus and it felt good. Need some groceries and a serious work out so that's on today's schedule. I gained three pounds or more at the three day eating affair at DD#1's wedding. Yum, I had my fill of real Kosher bagels and smoked salmon. I got my only exercise dancing the Hora. This is looking familiar to me. Perhaps I've already posted these comments. Now that the sinus infection is beginning to subside it's time to get back to the gym.

TO DOG PEOPLE: I was in the local book store the other day to get one for new granddaughter's birthday and came home with three for me and one for her. One of them I grabbed on the way to the door and had to return to the cash register to pay for it. It is named "Training People", by Tess of Helena, subtitled "How to Bring Out the Best in Your Human". The ISBN number is 13 978 -0-8118-5835-9 in case you want a copy. It's very short and enlightening. I always suspected I'd been had by dogs and now I know how they accomplish this and make servants out of us all the while believing that we are in charge.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home